Monday, March 3, 2014

Subway sandwiches VS McDonald's hamburgers

by Natsumi

Which fast food restaurant do you prefer, McDonald’s or subway? Honestly, I prefer the hamburgers and french fries at McDonald’s to the sandwiches made with bunch of vegetables at Subway, but I go to Subway more often because I thought the choice is healthier. It looks much better than McDonald’s burgers…right? There is a plentiful of vegetables.

In addition, I have read an article about McDonald’s; the employers recommend not to eat its burgers to the employees on the website for employees. The employers say that the burgers and fries are made with bunch of oils, and it contains a lot of trance fat. Even if there’s no trance fat in its oil, you will consume too much calories with your McDonald’s meals so you should not eat there, they say. So I tried to avoid McDonald’s and went to subway instead.

However, here’s a surprising fact; according to Dr. Lenard Lesser, who led the research while a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholar in the department of family medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, having meals at Subway is unhealthy just as same as having lunch at McDonald’s.

The statistics which is conducted at one of shopping mall at CA, teenagers consume 955 calories at Subway, and 1033 calories at McDonald’s in average. There’s only a little difference! Plus, regards to sodium, the consuming amount of sodium at both restaurants was three times higher than the IOM recommended daily dose: 2,149 mg at Subway versus 1,829 mg at McDonald's. Do you know what is sodium? Excess levels of sodium may put you at risk for: high blood pressure/ stroke/ heart failure/ osteoperosis/ stomach cancer/ kidney disease/ enlarged heart muscle/ headaches/ …etc. Anyway it is not good for your health.


I was shocked to read this research. I didn’t see the nutrition in detail, but I thought the calories of subway sandwiches are must be lower than McDonald’s hamburgers. But actually, it was only my imagination. I have to accept the fact that there’s no healthy or low calories fast food. Did you know the fact that the subway sandwich is not so healthy? We have to read nutrition facts carefully and cook at home as possible as we can from now on.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/05/17/breaking-subway-just-unhealthy-mcdonalds

No comments:

Post a Comment