Sunday, February 16, 2014

To Stop Procrastinating

By: Won-Gyung

In Korea, “A resolution good for only three days,” as the saying goes. It means that people promise themselves about plans such as reading many books and doing exercise every day, but they give up their plan very soon. Not only people but also I am also doing same pattern repeatedly. Here is the article that can be helping people who are similar to me.

According to “To Stop Procrastinating, Look to Science of Mood Repair” by Sue Shellenbarger, if you've tried building self-discipline and you're still putting things off, maybe you need to try something different. She suggests check your mood. Timothy Pychyl, an associate professor of psychology at Carleton University, says that procrastinators tend to do other things which are not related to their real tough works for avoiding the anxiety or worry; however, that acts which so called “giving in to feel good” by experts make procrastinators feel worse when they face their dead-line. Psychologists and time-management consultants are focusing on a new strategy; the new approach is based on several studies showing that negative emotions can be caused attempting at self-control. It fills a gap among established time-management methods, which stress behavioral changes.

Dr. Pychyl suggests two ways that help procrastinators to change their mood to good directions. First of all, he advised that “just get started, and make the threshold for getting started quite low.” Second, he also advised procrastinators to practice “time travel”; time travel is to imagine their good feeling after finishing their work on time. Moreover, self-forgiveness can be one of mood-repair strategy. The important thing is procrastination will be caused by long-term problems, and the most procrastinators beat themselves up, repeating negative thinking.

In fact, I made a plan for 2014 on December 31st, 2013. First, reading ten English books; second, doing exercise every day, and third, trying to look on the bright side. However, I also can’t stick to anything. Two months later, on February, I decided to make a new plan. It’s very similar to last plan, but I focused on details. First, I made a book list that I will read, and plus I will write a short report about books. Second, before eating dinner, I will jump rope 1000 times on week day, and I will go jogging near my house on weekend. Finally, this resolution is as same as the last plan, trying to look on the bright side. I realize that negative thinking is not helpful for me to do something, so I will try to look on the bright side. I believe it will be a great help to me while I have stayed in US.

No comments:

Post a Comment