Sunday, February 9, 2014

Prohibit Using Mobile Phone on the Plane

By: Won-Gyung


When I came to America, the time that I was on the plane was more than 10 hours. 10 hours is quite long time on the ground; moreover, it’s far longer time on the plane. Passengers have to keep their position as same as other people, and even if they can watch movies or listen to music, it’s very hard for them to concentrate on movies or music because of noise on plane. Although they can concentrate on movie, they might stop watching since the flight attendant will give in-flight meal and snacks. The seat is narrow to stretch one’s leg, and the position is uncomfortable to sleep. Therefore, it’s uneasy for people to sleep well, and even though they fell into a sleep, they wake up soon. Thus, I think that I wish I could use my mobile phone on the plane when I got on a plane for a long time. If I can use my mobile phone on the plane, I can check real-time updated news and SNS like facebook; also, I can exchange messages with my friends, and even I can talk on the phone.

According to the article “Fliers Sound Off to the FCC about In-Flight Cellphone Use on Planes” by Caitlin Huston and Sarah E. Needleman, the gates opened what officially will be the first of two 30-day public comment periods on the FCC's proposal to allow in-flight mobile phone use on commercial flights. The agency's proposal which is issued on December 12 would remove existing, narrow restrictions on airborne use of mobile devices, enabling airlines to offer wireless services, including mobile phone calls, at 10,000 feet and above. This new change seeks to modernize outdated regulations and keep pace with new technology. However, hundreds of nervous people already started expressing their concerns before the comment period officially began, and complaints to the FCC about the proposal began flying in roughly two months ago. For example, Pamela Gould, the owner of a landscape company in Hawaii, who flies about twelve times per year, pointed out that “Most people use their flight time to sleep, work on business and/or relax…Every teenager and rude adult will rule the once pleasant environment."

I agree with people who have concerns about permitting mobile phone on the plane. Actually, I didn’t think that far like Pamela Gould. Some business people or busy people want to sleep or relax during flight time. In addition, if mobile phone is permitted on the plane, even when people try to speak silently, people still talk in a loud voice than they expected. To sum up, I think that mobile phone should be still banned on the plane nevertheless the long flight time is boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment