Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Sad, Perfect End of Kim Yuna's Figure-Skating Reign

By: Won Gyung

2014 Sochi Olympics game has been finished, and there was a big scandal in lady single figure skating. It’s about Kim Yuna who is a South Korea’s figure skater and the gold medalist in 2010 Vancouver Olympics. She was already a famous celebrity after winning the 2009 World Championships, but the Olympic gold medal made her a cultural icon. Yuna’s preparation for the 2014 Olympics had been covered in mystery. She’d left competitive skating for 16 months and entered just four major international competitions in the four years since Vancouver. This year’s Olympic figure skating competition attracted one of the deepest and most exciting ladies’ fields ever: there was Julia Lipnitskaia who won the gold medal in team event pushed her onto the short list of contenders for gold. Also in the mix was Kim’s longtime frenemy, Japan’s Asada Mao, the silver medalist in 2010.

On Wednesday, Yuna was 17th of the 30 skaters in short program, and her short program was Send in the Clowns; she showed “clean” program. However, her program was underscored, and Sotnikova, a 17-year-old, finished her short program a mere 0.32 points behind Kim. The next day, she got 149.95 score which was a 40 point jump from Sotnikova’s average score. The Russian audience continued to cheer and blow vuvuzelas through the next two skaters’ performances, but Kim took on the ice in silence. Yuna also showed cleam program in free skating that her program was Adios Nonino. Surprisingly, the crowd roared in delight when Kim’s overall score of 219.11 was announced, a shocking 5.5 points adrift of Sotnikova's 224.59.

After finishing the competition, most of people expressed that Kim Yuna was robbed the gold medal. In figure skating, there are injustices; illusions of impropriety are even more common in an arena fraught with politics and paranoia. However, the elegance and virtuosity of Kim’s performance were good enough to carry the day in Sochi. She left two gorgeous performances on the world’s biggest stage aging, and she made it look easy. She kept struggling with injustices in competition, yet she retires having never finished off the podium in her entire career. Yuna said “The judges give points and I can’t do anything about that”, “I did all I wanted to do, like I wanted to do it. … I’m just glad it’s over.” She officially announced her retirement after medal ceremony.

Kim Yuna is my role-model and hero. One of my hobbies becomes watching figure skating competition because of seeing her performance. I think she is not only a figure skater but also an artist. Even though if she won the gold medal, it would be a perfect retirement, the reason why I am sad is not she won the gold medal, but I can’t watch her beautiful performance on the competition anymore. However, I’m also happy because she achieved her last goal, and she is also happy. I will remember her passion and her beautiful performance forever. Adios, Yuna!


No comments:

Post a Comment