Sunday, February 2, 2014

About Time: Not only about love but also about life - Won Gyung

By: Won-Gyung, Lee

Sometimes, I imagine a time travel. Because of regretting some results, I want to go back at that time. About Time is related to time travel. When I saw the About Time’s trailer at first, it was in Christmas season, so I think it’s just romance movie as same as other romance movies; in addition, after searching the internet, it said that the genre is romantic comedy. Although I couldn’t see the movie at the theater because I had to go US, it was quite successful in Korea. A few days ago, I realized why this movie was successful in Korea after seeing the movie.

According to movie review “It’s ‘About Time’ For Romance – And Rather More” by Joel Arnold, About Time sets up to talk a short, private story which is father tells a family secret to his son on his 21 birthday, sitting in front of him. It’s about time travel; all men in the family can travel in time. The movie didn’t talk about women in the family can get same ability whether or not and why. The ability which is time-travel isn’t limitless. It means that Tim who is main character in this movie can jumped into anytime in his own lifetime. He can go past and then back to present. He uses his skill to go back and fix right what something was socially clumsy. Arnold said that in About Time, Richard Curtis, writer-director, finds a convincing mix. Time travel could give Tim the special ability to go back and try to change and help his family when they have troubles, but Curtis also search the ends of the gift, and the unavoidability of life’s limit.

Actually, I was very touched by the last scene. It was the last time to meet Tim and his father because Tim’s baby will be born, so he can’t travel in time to past no more. Tim moved when he and his father played table tennis, and he hugged and kissed with his father. Also, his father knew that this is last time and they travel together to past when Tim was young. After this scene, I comprehended this movie is not only about love but also about life. If we can also travel in time like Tim, it will be awesome, of course. However, we have to live more meaningfully because we can’t travel in time. I think concentrating on every moment and trying to make valuable memories are important. Also, it’s important not to waste given time. Therefore, I recommend this movie, About Time, can help you to think about love and life.


No comments:

Post a Comment